For the Kunafa:
- 250 grams shredded phyllo dough (kadayıf)
- 100 grams unsalted white cheese or string cheese
- 100 grams unsalted ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup melted butter
For the Syrup:
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1.5 cups water
- Juice of half a lemon
- Pistachios or crushed walnuts
- Start by preparing the syrup. In a saucepan, combine the granulated sugar and water. Stir and bring to a boil. Once the sugar is dissolved, add the lemon juice and let the mixture simmer for about 10-15 minutes on low heat. Then, remove from heat and let it cool.
- Carefully separate the shredded phyllo dough into thin strands. Mix the melted butter with the phyllo, ensuring it’s evenly coated.
- Spread half of the prepared phyllo mixture in a baking dish, pressing it down gently to create an even layer.
- Grate the unsalted white cheese or string cheese over the phyllo layer. Then, spread the ricotta cheese over the white cheese.
- Spread the remaining phyllo mixture over the cheese layers and press down gently to create another even layer.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F). Bake the kunafa in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes or until the top is nicely golden.
- Once out of the oven, immediately pour the cooled syrup over the hot kunafa. Allow the dessert to sit and absorb the syrup for a while.
- Garnish the top with crushed walnuts or pistachios.
- Slice and serve the kunafa. Lebanese kunafa is best enjoyed warm.
By following this recipe, you can create traditional Lebanese kunafa at home. Enjoy your meal!